Saturday, January 3, 1970

Comments

June 24, 2009
Envision Utah Meeting, Salt Lake City
I attended the review of survey results, which showed that transportation, protection of the watershed and avalanche control where the most prevailing concerns from the 2,000 + survey questionnaires that were returned and analyzed. Something that could be "turned on its head" with some form of intelligent rapid transit system...

June 15, 2009

Sally Elliott : Fabulous. I read the entire thing. Did you write all the content? Did you put the site together? I'm so impressed.
I've been talking to UTA for years about light rail to Park City from the airport and they love the idea, but we all realize it's year away because of the cost.
I think the next step is to go talk to Envision Utah and Olene Walker.
Right off the top of my head, if PCMR and Solitude created an alliance, others would beg to come in. Talisker has other things to think about right now. Altabird would be clamoring to join after a season or two. You're right, we don't even have to pressure Deer Valley right away. That connection is in place. We just have to create a successful program, starting on a small scale.
Would Powder Corp go for it?

May 30, 2009
Anonymous: I agree, completely, it's time to catch up with the rest of the world and time to create an outdoor skiing experience rather than ride the same lifts all day. How do we get there.

May 25, 2009
Ian Ferguson: You have done an incredible job of providing information and statistics on your case for the interconnect. I believe, as I mentioned to you over the phone, that the reasons for the interconnect are all valid and backed up well by your reasoning and facts as are represented by the various interconnects in Europe. My concern is that; as we both know - timing is 90% of what happens in life.

One very bright frenchman is not enough to get things done. You need a group of highly interested and supportive people to add strength to your efforts. I read in the paper where you governor - Jon Huntsman - is heading off to China. He appeared to be a potential ally for your effort and you felt he was very tourism centered, but now will not be around to take part. You have stated that "time is of the essence" and that may be true, some sort of survey should be undertaken to see what support $ the resorts might want to put forth in this cause.

Everything takes money and at the moment, it is in short supply for many industries including the ski industry. I believe that your efforts should continue perhaps in research vein to see what the real support is at this time.I remember that the interconnect was a topic of discussion going back to when Ravio Puusemp was in charge of Ski Utah, but the effort never gained any traction and I don't think anyone had come up with the good and valid statistics that you have to support the concept.

I like the idea of the "mountain train" too. It would be very doable in Utah, but not in Colorado.If I were you, I would want to gauge the interest and support for the interconnect before investing more time and effort on your part. If the interconnect is ever to happen, it will take very large $ and the efforts of a very well organized task force including agreement by all parties including Deer Valley - who need it least of all parties. What is in it for JF Lanver?? I know you want to be an activist, but your time and efforts are worth something! Great effort on your part so far.

May 24, 2009
Kirk Benson: How do we convince the resorts and environmentalists this is a benefit?

April 24, 2009
Simon Diggins: This is a nicely put together site – good job! I wish you luck in promoting this concept. Having begun my ski industry career in the Tarentaise Valley I agree with pretty much everything you say on the site. However, I fear our collective habit in Utah of thinking small and protecting our turf will make progress very slow and difficult. Perhaps it will only be the effects of a major economic crisis over several years that will galvanize our resort owners into considering this concept.

I have personally been amazed that since I arrived in Utah in 1992, so little progress has been made and that there is so little support for the concept. Senior resort management seems to view it as a low priority if they give it any thought at all. Although having said that, Snowbird and Alta did take a significant step in 2001, and it was Snowbird that shouldered the lion’s share of the costs in developing Mineral Basin and building two quad lifts to connect to Alta.

No comments:

Post a Comment